8-year-old girl says one word stopped her potential kidnappers | News
AURORA, Colo. — Police in Aurora say two men tried to grab a woman and drag her into their car at S. Chambers Rd. and E. Florida Ave. last week. She escaped.
Then Monday, two men tried to lure a young girl into their car less than half a mile away at E. Louisiana Ave. and S. Idalia St. while she waited for her school bus. She knew just what to do and she has some advice for other kids.
Because of publicity about what happened to Jessica Ridgeway, she was able to do what she needed to do when the two men in a green SUV approached her.
“I kind of remembered that I’m supposed to scream ‘no’ and just run away,” says the 8-year-old. “I was really, really scared.”
She had one chance to make the right decision. She thinks one single word may have saved her life.
“I was standing at the bus stop and there was a black man; he told me to get in the car. I said, ‘no,’ and then he drove away,” she says.
Aurora police arrived quickly to the neighborhood when they got the call from the girl’s family. They knew the family’s concern was well-founded.
“We did have a witness that we talked to when we did a canvas who stated that she didn’t see anything today but in the past couple of weeks she has seen a green SUV in the neighborhood watching the bus stop,” says Aurora police spokeswoman Sgt. Cassidee Carlson. “So that is concerning to us.”
Parents got a letter from Aurora schools giving them yet another opportunity to review safety rules with their children. “It’s bad enough to hear about it on the news but to hear about it at the end of your street, it’s very scary,” says one parent.
The mother of the girl who had the close call Monday is proud of her daughter. But on the minds of everyone: Jessica Ridgeway.
“I just think about what happened to the little girl and I didn’t want that to happen to her, we almost lost her,” Carlette says.
Aurora police are asking for the public’s help to find the two suspects that may be associated with a green SUV.
One is a white male, 35-years-old, 5’8″-6’0″, brown hair, clean-shaven or with a beard.
The other is an African-American male, 40-years-old, black shirt, green baseball hat.
Upcoming Events near Aurora
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Multi-vehicle crash closes NB I-25 in south metro Denver, several hurt
- Water main break may close Centennial street for multiple days
- Broncos coach John Fox, 700 other men get together to fight breast cancer
- Explosions, 3 floors engulfed during 2-alarm Centennial condo fire
- Second robber convicted after victim fought off two attackers with a hammer
- Police warn residents in Montbello about a possible child predator
- King Soopers employee accused of using position to rob other stores
- Denver police investigate shooting near Sloans Lake
- Source: ‘Threat’ at East High could be related to teen’s murder
- Police arrest 3 in connection with murder of 13-year-old boy
- Police: Man tries to lure Parker teens into vehicle attached to camper
- Former Littleton officer pleads guilty to firearm, drug trafficking crimes
- VIDEO: Residents spot moose wandering loose in Parker
- Family: Lost dogs were re-adopted before they had a chance to claim them
- Pizza business concerned about impact of possible King Soopers expansion