Aurora street flooding worsens; Commerce City issues evacuation orders | News
AURORA, Colo. — Freak rainstorms that caused massive flooding in Boulder had also settled over the Denver metro area Thursday morning, causing serious problems in Aurora and much of east Denver.
Streets were flooding, with significant water over the roadway on Havana Street between Exposition and Alameda. Police had closed the road as of 10:30 a.m. Southbound Interstate 225 was closed at Alameda Avenue about 1:30 p.m. The intersection of Peoria Street and Colfax Avenue was closed as well.
Elsewhere, Westerly Creek Park in northeast Denver appeared to be mostly submerged.
Commerce City police reported nearly a dozen road closures across the area. Homes in the Fairfax Park area were experiencing flooding, police said.
“We are trying to keep closures updated via Twitter, but it is becoming too numerous,” Aurora Police said in a media release. “(We) have done numerous rescues and pulled several vehicles from water. Streets are shut down all over Aurora. We are asking everyone to not go out if you do not need to and to please not add to the mess by driving through Aurora.”
Callers reporting a sinkhole forming near Alameda and Havana. Avoid intersection.
— The Aurora Sentinel (@aurorasentinel) September 12, 2013
@bigdawg811 Ramp from EB I-70 to SB I–25 just closed due to flooding.
— Brian Jackson (@bjackrian) September 12, 2013
— Aurora Police Dept (@AuroraPD) September 12, 2013
Upcoming Events near Aurora
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Multi-vehicle crash closes NB I-25 in south metro Denver, several hurt
- Water main break may close Centennial street for multiple days
- Broncos coach John Fox, 700 other men get together to fight breast cancer
- Explosions, 3 floors engulfed during 2-alarm Centennial condo fire
- Second robber convicted after victim fought off two attackers with a hammer
- Police warn residents in Montbello about a possible child predator
- King Soopers employee accused of using position to rob other stores
- Denver police investigate shooting near Sloans Lake
- Source: ‘Threat’ at East High could be related to teen’s murder
- Police arrest 3 in connection with murder of 13-year-old boy
- Police: Man tries to lure Parker teens into vehicle attached to camper
- Former Littleton officer pleads guilty to firearm, drug trafficking crimes
- VIDEO: Residents spot moose wandering loose in Parker
- Family: Lost dogs were re-adopted before they had a chance to claim them
- Pizza business concerned about impact of possible King Soopers expansion